In 14 years of its existence, Blink Festivalen in Western Norway has grown from a decidely local affair to one of those world’s premier competitions in both xcskiing and biathlon, offering an absolutely unique blend of top stars presence and amateur, mostly kids, competitions at the same tracks.
Last year figures: 3000 participants, 100000 spectators and the budget well over NOK 20 million. Plus prime time on NRK. That’s the World Championships level!
Good news: the anniversary 15th edition this year will happen as planned on August 5-8.
Bad news: without the audiences on purpose-built terraces in Sandnes. Gatherings of more than 500 people are currently banned in Norway.
Good news: it all will be televised by NRK with the signal distribution across all of Europe via EBU (biathlon races only – European Broadcasting Union is serious about investing into and promoting biathlon).
Bad news: participation of foreign stars competing against – and often beating – Therese Johaug, Ingvild Flugstad Østberg, Johannes Thingnes Bøe etc.etc. is not certain at all. Likely to be decided later but can’t be left till the last moment: top athletes and their coaches need to have the schedule for summer camps and competitions firmed up ASAP. Typically it’s done no later than the beginning of May but 2020 shall be anything but typical.
- Skiing Suffering From Acute Case Of Wrong Marketing?
- Miracles Do Happen: Linn Svahn’s Incredible World Cup Debut
- News Just In: Frida Karlsson Benched By Doctors , Won’t Compete
- Thomas Drindl, Head Of Fischer Nordic : When It Comes To Promotion We Expect More From Our Sponsored Athletes
- Fans, Rejoice: Johaug To Compete Next Month!