She’s done it!
Therese Johaug’s 10000m run was billed as the headline event at the Impossible Games in Olso ( normally known as the Bislett Games)
The reigning FIS World Cup winner did not disappoint: running alone on the empty stadium she stopped the clock at 31.40.69.
That’s the best result in the world this year so far – well, with not many athletics competitions happening at the times of Coronavirus.
That’s also better than qualifying time for the Athletics World Championships (31.50), but worse than the one for the Olympics (31.25).
In comparison, the great Norwegian Ingrid Kristianssen once set her then-world record at the same stadium: 30:13.74 . That was in 1986. The current WR is held by Almaz Ayana: 29:17.45
One important note: all the records at 10k and shorter in athletics are set by runners using spikes. Johaug run in her trusted Hoka Carbons – excellent marathon shoes but absolutely no match for spikes at the curvy stadium. You gotta have very special technique to run long distance in spikes, not something one learns in a month.
One wonders how many top male skiers would be a match for Therese when it comes to running 10k …
- First Time At Blink, Johannes Klaebo Puts On Display His Brutally Effective Downhill Technique
- Fossesholm Is True Star-In-Making. Why Is She Allowed To Put Her Life At Risk?
- At Least One Rollerski Maker Is Willing To Answer Most Indecent Question In Industry!
- Keep On Waxing, Bro – Fluoroban Delayed!
- Top Swedish Skiers Hold Impromptu Races